This year I had resigned myself to abstaining from the spring top sewalong fun, the annual bonanza of selfish spring sewing on Made by Rae. Those who know me in real life know that we are in the process of trying to sell our house and move cross country, so (*sob*) I packed up my fabric and patterns and put them in storage, sold some off, sent a machine down to my parents’ house, and essentially tidied up my sewing area to be a table with a machine on it and nothing else. It looks great, but I can’t really do anything with it! (Like my spotless and empty kitchen, totally unusable!) So the kids and I are down visiting my parents for a week, because they are on break and it’s impossible to keep things clean with them around. I was getting a little bored in the evenings, you know, without all that cleaning to do, and I realized it was spring top time, and I had an older machine here… all I needed was some fabric and a pattern! After poking around online, I decided on the free Colette Sorbetto pattern with the sleeves found here. I went to Joann and found a linen/cotton blend fabric in a print I adored, just a scant 35” of it left on the bolt, and 2 evenings later, here is the result:
I really like the shirt. I’ve made several closure-less tops from wovens and it’s a well known fact that these are a little bit on the baggy side. In order to be a pullover-type top instead of a button/zip style top, they need a good bit of ease. I made a size 8 (my measurements ranged from size 6 in one part to 12 in another, so I just picked my RTW size and hoped for the best), and the sleeve pattern fit perfectly with it. The shirt is a little baggy compared to a t-shirt, but it’s not the tent that I was worried it might be. It is super comfy compared to the other woven shirts I’ve made. The armholes are not binding and there is plenty of room across the shoulders to move. I did decide to lengthen it, based on some comments I’d read, and I did this very scientifically by adding a paint chip where the pattern pieces joined, haha! I did this front and back to ensure they would be the same size. I hate shirts that are too short and this one is not, with a bit added in. Oh, I also shortened the bust darts by about an inch, since they seemed long. No picture of that, but you can be assured it was equally scientific. That’s just how I roll.
I wore it all day today and was just in love. It does get wrinkly, which I consider an endearing characteristic of linen more than a problem. I was able to chase kids all over and I didn’t feel it was tight, or gaping, for that matter, and I love the softness and breathability of linen. On the neckline, I didn’t like the way the bias tape looked (neither did either of my critics), so I covered it with a cute trim that I picked up at Joann while I was fabric shopping without the kids (oh, the luxury!). You can see it in the bottom left picture below. It doesn’t show up in the other pictures but I think it adds a great touch to the shirt.
So in the end, I managed to join in the sewing fun, and try out a new pattern that I will definitely make again with some of the fabric that’s wasting away in a storage locker. I actually like this better than Simplicity 2599, which I bought last year for this same occasion (but didn’t actually make till the fall). Plus I got to rummage through my mom’s old sewing box for needles and thread and I found these awesome patterns:
Too bad I am not bold enough to try the really retro look!